This traditional Christmas dish comes from Germany and is an unavoidable dessert at Advent across Europe. The finely risen dough goes well with vanilla sauce and poppy seeds. Try them!
Dumplings with plum jam and vanilla sauce [Germknedle]
- 500 grams flour
- 7 grams dry yeast
- 300 milliliter milk
- 60 grams sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 60 grams butter
- grated rind of one lemon
For the sauce:
- 350 milliliter milk
- 2 two egg yolks
- 80 grams sugar
- 1 tbsp density
- 1 vanilla pod
- plum jam
- In a little warm milk add the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar, stir and leave for 15 minutes in a warm place, to make a froth.
- Put the flour in a larger bowl, add salt and stir. Make a hollow in the middle, add the prepared yeast (foam), sugar, egg, butter, grated lemon zest and the remaining warm milk and knead a smooth dough (add a little more flour if necessary).
- Leave the dough covered for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- As the dough rises prepare the vanilla sauce.
- Heat the milk with the vanilla seeds over a moderate heaty.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar, add the thickener and a little cold milk, mix well and add everything to the hot milk. Stir over low heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
- When the dough has risen, hand it out on a floured work surface, knead and roll out thinner and divide into 10-12 equal parts.
- Put a teaspoon of plum jam in the middle of each piece. Firmly join the edges of the dough to stick and form balls. Arrange the balls on a floured surface and leave them covered for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the dumplings for 20 minutes in a steamer, be sure to cover or put them in a pot with boiling salted water and cook for 7-10 minutes. Using a toothpick or skewer stick, check that the dumplings are cooked, stick a wooden stick into the ball, if after removing the stick is clean, the dumplings are ready and if there is dough left on the stick, cook the dumplings. Since germ dumplings grow a lot during cooking, cook 3-4 dumplings at a time.
Tip: Be careful with heat when you cook dumplings.