Try my recipe called Vegan cabbage rolls stuffed with the main African cereal couscous. The mixture also includes onions, Croatian Fant (a mixture of spices), zucchini, mushrooms, and spices like pepper, and salt.
This vegan meal has under 10 ingredients and it is very easy to prepare. The time of cooking is much less than for origin cabbage rolls with beef and because of that is also a low coast dish.
First, let’s meet our ingredients:
A fresh head of cabbage. The main ingredient in the delicious rolls is just fresh cabbage, so I advise you to buy it really fresh at the market or at a local store with daily fresh vegetables. You will recognize the leaves of fresh cabbage by the thin tough leaves that are easily torn and are firmly glued to the head. The fresh leaves are speckled with a white-green color and do not have gray spots on them, which are caused by improper storage.
Zucchini. For this dish, I chose a family of zucchini with a soft green rind that peels very easily. You will first find fresh zucchini in the local market, and you can recognize their freshness by the peel, which is smooth without scratches. It is desirable that the zucchini are young and small to medium growth so that you do not have to remove the stones from them when cleaning.
Champignons. These popular industrial mushrooms are very easy to find in local fresh vegetable stores. When choosing mushrooms make sure they are not moldy and brown colored as this means they are old. You can replace champignons with some other mushrooms of your choice.
Onion. At the market, look for a firm onion with a brown rind that sticks to it which is proof that the onion is fresh.
Vegan cabbage rolls
- cooking pan
- 150 grams couscous
- 1 Fant(Croatian mix of spices) for stuffed peppers and cabbage rolls You can use your own spices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions
- 300 grams champignons or other mushrooms
- 1 head of fresh cabbage
- 200 milliliters of mashed tomatoes
Preparation of cabbage:
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Dip a head of cabbage in hot water for about 5-10 minutes until the leaves soften, then after a few minutes in cold water. Separate the cabbage leaves that have softened while retaining their green color.
Preparation of couscous:
- Heat 150 milliliters of water in a bowl, add salt and pour over the cus - cus and leave until it swells.
Preparation of Fant:
- Pour the contents of the Fant bag with 100 ml of lukewarm water and let it stand for a few minutes.
- Fry the onion in the heated oil until it turns golden yellow.
- Add the sliced champignons and simmer until the liquid evaporates.
- Finally add the grated zucchini and fry everything together briefly.
- Add the swollen couscous and prepared Fant to the baked vegetables.
- Stir the mixture well and fill the prepared cabbage leaves with it, which are then folded into sauerkraut.
- Arrange the sauerkraut in a wider cooking pot.
- Pour over the boiled tomatoes and water (so that the liquid covers them). Lightly salt, pepper and cover and cook over low heat for about 40 minutes.
- Have a nice meal 🙂
If desired, you can thicken the sauce with 1-2 teaspoons of Gussnel diluted in a little water.
Cabbage rolls can be stored in a plastic bowl in the refrigerator and eaten for a few days. They are just as delicious cold as they are warm.