Christmas time always encourages me to bake cakes that are traditionally made in my family. This recipe is special because my sister Ivana also participates in its preparation. Of course, after the cookies are baked, Ivana eats them very quickly 🙂 (and the whole family)
Walnut ball cookies
Walnuts are small, effective cookies with a simple walnut dough filled with lemon cream. They are great as finger food at celebrations or as decorative edible cookies on trays for the holidays.
- walnut mold
- 280 grams plain flour
- 210 grams butter
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams ground walnuts
- 3 deciliter milk
- 3 tbsp starch flour
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 vanillin sugar
- 100 grams sugar
- 200 grams butter
- 1 juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon rum(alcohol)
- Dough ingredients.
- Mix the melted butter with the sugar and gradually add the flour. Finally, stir in the walnuts into the mixture.
- Put the dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 1h.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 Fahrenheit). Coat the molds with butter and dip in flour and shake it out.
- Take small balls of dough with your fingers and press them into the molds so that you make a small indentation in the middle with your thumb. Arrange the dough-filled molds on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove the roasted walnuts from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Then shake the dough out of the mold by pounding on the tin. If you still have dough left, repeat the baking process.
- Cream ingredients.
- Mix the flour and starch flour with a little milk so that there are no lumps. Put the remaining milk on the fire and let it boil. Pour the mixture into the hot milk, stirring constantly, and cook the cream until done. Allow the cream to cool. Stir butter, rum and lemon juice into the cooled cream.
- Take one half of the walnut and coat with cream and press the other half on it. Your nuts are done. When you connect all the halves, sprinkle them with powdered sugar and serve 🙂
- Place the finished walnuts in a plastic bowl with a lid so that they are not hard. They are best to eat after standing for 2 days.